Monday, October 18, 2004

Yangshou Day 1

So, the pirates did not ransack nor pillage our boat. It seems that tiny boats filled with merchants are common. Once you get over the alarming way they latch onto your ship and scramble along the sides of the boat trying to sell you things, you realize that River Pirates are just trying to get their hustle on!

So, the boat ride brought me to the charming city of Yangshou, which I think is the most beautiful place I've been to in my life. It is a town of old fashionned chinese buildings surrounded by lush green mountains. Like Guilin, Yangshou is one of the places not shrouded by black clouds all day long.






Didn't do much the first night. I tried calling people but for some reason I couldn't get the phone to work. I was completely isolated from everyone outside of the town it seemed! Which at first was pretty discouraging. I turned to the phone trying to decide what to do.... "Mmm... in room massage? Naaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!" I guess I learned my lesson.

The next day in Yangshou I really got adventurous. There are pretty much three rules that I was told never to break while in China by friends, family and doctors!

1) Don't drink the water!
2) Don't talk to strangers!
3) Don't eat the street food!

Bah! I was talking to strangers left and right! I was approached by many people who wanted to give me a bike ride around town. Actually, there were a lot of young children who approached me in this town, moreso than other places in China. I was very wary of all of them. Scared even! I went to the park in the center of the town, where a bunch of little kids were staring at me. Ah, to be black in China! Anyway, I was in a good mood, so I waved back at them, much to their delight. They started giggling and frolicking, like good kids do and then beckonned me to follow them up some hill. Imagine this... Me, a six foot black guy, scared to follow some little girls up a mountain. Honestly, I was sure there was someone waiting for me at the top of the hill waiting to mug me. Or maybe the little girls themselves were concealing weapons.

Anyway, I summoned my courage and soon followed the kids up the hill. On a ledge they enthusiastically showed me some writings on a wall. When I asked what it meant, the girl shrugged, almost exasperated that I should ask a question that she would be incapable of answering in another language, and that I would be even less capable of understanding. Yes, it was quite foolish of me. Regardless, they asked me to take their picture and gave me the most popular pose of Chinese local girls. The girl who speaks proper english stands in front, while her sidekick, the one who speaks less english, stands in back. And of course, they flashed some kind of gang symbol... I'm not sure if she was a Blood or a Crip... Or maybe that was just a peace sign?



After taking their picture they asked to take mine, but I clutched my precious camera, fearing they would run off with it. They just shrugged and gestured for me to join them in some more frolicking. I declined and they went off. What a bunch of happy kids.

There was lots to explore in the park. It was quite enchanting really with little ponds scattered around and huge butterflies. At one point I came to some stairs and I could hear some guys yelling in English at the top of the hill. I would later be told the name for chinese guys who yell out English phrases. I think it transalates to something like, "Crazy English". "Those chinese dudes are speaking Crazy English!" One might say.



I decided to climb up and see what was going on. Would I be mugged??? No... I came to a pavillion where two chinese guys were learning to speak english. Bruce and Wei. They were really friendly and we had a little cultural exchange. They tought me a few chinese phrases, I clarified some grammar rules for them. It was cool. Here's a pic of them, "Making an advertisement" for their Chinese English dictionnary!



From the ledge of the pavillion, I could see really tall mountain. I thought the view from their would be spectacular, so they offered to show me to the top. It was quite a climb, but was it ever worth it. I got an amazing view of the whole town. Actually, climbing up the mountain you come to several pavillions each with its own unique view. At the risk of sounding like an uber-geek, Yanshou looks like the city of Rivindell from Lord of the Rings... There... I said it!





Anyway, after which, Bruce, Wei and I went to violate the 3rd rule of visiting China. No, not "Don't pet the bears!", but rather don't eat the street food. How could I refuse? A whole plate of stir fried noodles and beef for a mere 3 yuan? That's practically like eating for free! And goddamn that stuff tasted good.

And we parted ways and I went back to my hotel. Apparently, there were no consequences to my trangressions of the 3 laws! Or was there? I woke up at 5am with a strange churning sensation in the pit of my belly...mmm..

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home